6.23.2008

Tolstoy...the PowerPoint?











Confession:
I am a hopeless bibliophile. 
Problem: I have a 9-to-5 which severely limits my workplace leisure reading.

Alas, a solution is available!

Imagine my glee when I opened today's Very Short List email, featuring "Read at Work.

Yep, somebody has finally created a program that allows you to read short stories, poetry and classics in full view of colleagues without having to surreptitiously ALT+TAB over to a bogus spreadsheet. The text is cleverly disguised in faux PowerPoint presentations. Must admit the juxtaposing of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Oscar Wilde with charts & graphs is jarring at first. It is not conducive to speed reading, but it is clever.

I tried it. It's a great concept (oh, I could've said "novel" concept, but that would've been painfully obvious) but unfortunately its library carries few titles. Hopefully this will be improved in the next release.

Still, kudos to the genius whose efforts now allow me to get paid to read at work. Creative loafing is so highly underrated...


No comments: