6.08.2008

planning the musical assault...



It is impossible to see every performance at Bonnaroo. The logistical scheduling nightmare (as is often the case @ 'Roo, many shows either overlap or run concurrently) means I must choose which artists to see. Many performances must be truncated, which I hate. That's the down side. The plus? Cheap shows! Each show will cost less than five bucks. I have 50+ acts on my Wish List. In 4 days. On 2 main stages and 5 smaller tent venues. At an 800-acre farm. In 90-degree heat. Probably in mud, due to stormy weather forecast all weekend. (Damn, this reads like a Harper's Index...)

Check out the lineup. Let me know which acts I absolutely should not miss. Last year, I saw some acts I had not yet fully discovered (The National, Brazilian Girls, Flight of the Conchords, etc.) and now wish I'd stuck around for the duration. My goal this year is to make musical amends. In my pre-event research (something neglected in '07), I found these promising performers:
  • Newton Faulkner (young, red-haired, dread-locked British guitarist);
  • Adele (this year's young, soulful, Brit-pop It-Girl);
  • Two Gallants (lo-fi indie folk/rock; best lyric: "if you've got a throat, I've got a knife");
  • Orchestra Baobab (Afro-Cuban/world pop/fusion band from Senegal with whom Youssou N'Dour first played); and
  • Ladytron (a black-clad British art-rock quartet which sounds, according to iTunes, like Britney Spears if she'd been a German heroin addict - in other words, weekend ear candy.)
That said, I'm most inclined to see these acts (in order of scheduled appearance):

LEGEND:
B = love 'em/won't miss
# = newly discovered / will see
I = like 'em / might see
* = already seen 'em
+ = slightly known / might see
^ = known / unlikely to see
? = unknown / undecided
THURSDAY, 6.12
  • What Made Milwaukee Famous *
  • Vampire Weekend
  • Newton Faulkner #
  • MGMT +
  • Grand Ole Party ?
  • Nicole Atkins +
  • Felice Brothers +
  • Janeane Garafolo
FRIDAY, 6.13
  • Drive-By Truckers
  • Jose Gonzalez
  • Adele
  • Tegan & Sara ^
  • Fiery Furnaces +
  • Minus the Bear ?
  • The Swell Season
  • !!!
  • The Duhks ^
  • Jake Shimabukuro
  • State Radio ?
  • M.I.A. ^
  • Anders Osborne ?
  • Rilo Kiley
  • My Morning Jacket
  • Tiesto *
SATURDAY, 6.14
  • Wood Brothers
  • Two Gallants +
  • Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
  • Ozomatli *
  • Amy LaVere ^
  • Matt Morris ? with Charlie Sexton
  • the everybodyfields +
  • Little Feat ^
  • Donavon Frankenreiter +
  • Gogol Bordello *
  • Cat Power
  • Avett Brothers
  • B.B. King
  • Ben Folds *
  • Iron & Wine
  • Pearl Jam
  • Sigur Ros
  • Ghostland Observatory +
SUNDAY, 6.15
  • Rogue Wave ^
  • Orchestra Baobab
  • Robert Randolph's Revival
  • Aimee Mann
  • Broken Social Scene ^
  • The Greencards ?
  • the everybodyfields ^
  • Bombadil
  • Ladytron #
  • Solomon Burke
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
  • Death Cab for Cutie

The playlist @ page end features these artists. Enjoy from the air-conditioned comfort of your abode while I hear 'em live...most likely in 100% humidity.

Full reports to follow next week...


No comments: