6.25.2008



Lately I've been seeing these bumper stickers and window decals on cars. I wondered (never enough to actually Google 'em, but still, a transient thought would flash thru the 'ol noggin' once in awhile) whose bright idea it was to mock one of our local tourist attractions. (You know, the one prominently featured in Neil Gaiman's American Gods and advertised on barns all over the continental U.S.? Yeah, that one.)

Turns out it was the guy I met last night @ my local pub. It's my favorite spot - not simply because of its convenient proximity to my house or because they keep all varieties of Sam Adams on hand at all times. Nope, I love it because it's adjacent to my gym's gated parking garage, so I never have to stumble far. Let's not discuss how often my well-intentioned ass heads to the gym but magically ends up on a barstool...

While drinking with a mutual friend last night, I met the co-founder of the company that makes this and other Chattanooga-specific inside jokes printed on apparel and accessories. Last night proved one of my theories: if you want to know something, go to a bar. You may not get the answer you thought you were looking for, but you'll always learn something interesting about somebody else. And if you're lucky, maybe somebody else will pick up the tab...

*TheNoog.com has a photo gallery showing folks wearing their garb, on a smaller scale but still reminiscent of Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale in Connecticut. (Damn, I would love one of their lobster rolls right about now!) I thought the idea of worldwide advertising via t-shirts had a moderately high cheese-factor, but now I'm starting to appreciate the kitsch...




No comments: