5.18.2008

the joys of leisure reading...


...free time + books = bliss


I've been on a serious book-buying binge of late, but free time had been limited until this weekend. Few things frustrate me as much as seeing things I cannot enjoy due to the time constraints of school and work: My keyboard. My bicycle. My stack of books. It pains me to see my favorite hobby items covered in dust...

My bike sat untouched in the garage all winter. I dusted it off last weekend and rode until I lost feeling from the waist down. The ride felt good; the day-after aching muscles did not. (No, I cannot stretch my gluteal & inner thigh muscles enough to prevent soreness. I try. Every damn time!) The weather was perfect, the breeze was invigorating, and it didn't cost a cent. I rode last weekend because I knew my books would arrive this week. Plus, this weekend's weather was supposed to suck in an "not conducive to outdoor recreation" way. In other words, my favorite kind - cool, grey and rainy.

To recover from the ride, last Sunday I sat at my freshly-dusted keyboard and composed awhile. Maybe one day I will actually use the RECORD option. But when you play mainly for therapy, there isn't much incentive to preserve your creations for posterity. Besides, posterity isn't likely to occur when you're single and spend every waking weekend minute holed up indoors. But I digress...where was I?

Oh yeah. Reading. I emerged from a comfortable recline just long enough to refill my coffee and throw in two loads of laundry. Damn, I love weekends like this!

Here's what has kept me happily confined indoors for most of the weekend:
Time to refill the coffee cup and resume the leisurely position...



No comments: