9.18.2008

this journey isn't over...


The Swell Season - "Fitzcarraldo" live at Bonnaroo 2008

Here, back, down a long and straight track
I have chose the long road
That leads me out to god knows
So I can't stop right now

Even the good stars can fall from grace and falter
Lose their faith and slide
But I can't get an ocean that's deep enough for my day

Well now it's time for to sound your voice
And capture what you're after
My ship was sold right up the river
But I'm not going down here
This journey isn't over...


Most of my favorite musical performers hail from the British Isles: Sting/the Police, Radiohead, The Cure, Peter Gabriel, U2, Damien Rice, The Frames, and more. Music is my panacea, my proven motivator and constant ally. For whatever reason, artists from the U.K. have an uncanny ability to capture my every emotion in song. In times like these when all I want is stasis yet all I find is transience, some songs are more of an aural encouragement than others. This is one of those songs. Based on a 1982 Werner Herzog film (and true story) of a man with an indomitable spirit, the song is not a typical motivational tool to the average music fan. But then again, I'm far from average...

The Frames - one of Ireland's most popular groups - is anchored by Glen Hansard, he of the indie flick Once stardom. It was my great fortune to stand in the crowd this year at Bonnaroo while the above song was performed. Listen at the 5:36 mark when he explains the meaning behind the song and you'll see why its relevance is applicable to anyone facing challenges. You owe it yourself to discover this phenomenal band, either in their original form as The Frames or through Glen's sideline project with Marketa Irglova, The Swell Season.

No comments: